Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Spare A Square



To my son Tommy,

You know what this is a picture of? Well yeah, it is a picture of empty toilet paper roll, but yet it is so much more. It is a milestone. Let me explain.

This morning you went potty. Of course you left the door open as, like most five year olds, the idea of privacy while pooping is a novel concept. After some time, I looked over at you and you were just sitting there. I have been working with you lately, encouraging you to rely on your own wiping abilities more. I waited and you just sat. I asked if you were done and you said yes. Assuming you wanted someone to wipe for you, I told you to wipe yourself and get up. You picked up the empty toilet paper roll and put it to your mouth like a bullhorn and said, "There is no toilet paper!" Then, you continued to bugle through the empty roll in almost a rap version, "No paper, ugh ugh, no paper, ugh ugh, need to wipe, ugh ugh, no paper."

Ahh the first time stranded! What a milestone! In our household this a rite of passage. It won't be the last time stranded, as even adults have to constantly relearn the rule of looking for paper before sitting. I got you a fresh roll and you even made me proud saying that you want to do it yourself. Still I wonder how long you would have sat stranded. At least you had a good sense of humor about your predicament.

Sincerely with love from your dad,
Leo

No comments:

Post a Comment