Saturday, March 12, 2022

Happy Meals Make My Girls Happy



To my daughters Ilee and Rosie,

I am convinced that one of the best marketing ploys of these times is the “Happy Meal” from McDonalds. It has been said that the kid’s meal is also the menu item with the least profit margin. They hook the kids and make the money on their parents ordering from the “adult” menu. And of course the biggest draw of the “happy meal” is the toy.

Tommy and I picked up McDonalds for you guys on the way home from his morning basketball game. We got him a regular meal but we skipped meals for the rest of the family because, quite frankly, I don’t need fast food and any time I can pass it up is a few more moments added to the end of my life. You girls were so excited, diving immediately in to find the prize!

Ilee: Daddy, we got a wee jee?
Me (with my back to you guys because I was splitting the nuggets and cutting the burger in half to share): A what?
Ilee: A weeeeee jeeeee (as if the elongation of the vowel sounds would make me understand)
Me: A ouija? (Thinking myself that McDonalds is quite daring to include an occult board game during Lent)
Rosie: Right, a weee jeee!

You guys got a Luigi from Mario or specifically a Luigi driving his car from Mario Kart. I chuckled at the cute mispronunciation and I was relieved the mega corporation didn’t go with ghostly communication tools for its kids prize.

Sincerely with love from your dad,
Leo

No comments:

Post a Comment