Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Cricket

To my son Tommy,

Chirp, chirp, chirp ... My eyes bolted awake at 5 AM
Chirp, chirp, chirp ... You got to be kidding me?
Chirp, chirp, chirp ... A cricket?  Maybe if I ignore it, it will just go away.
Chirp, chirp, chirp ... Arrghh I NEED my sleep!  I will just pull this pillow over my head.
Muffled chirp, muffled chirp, muffled chirp ... For the love of all things good and holy!
Muffled chirp, muffled chirp, muffled chirp ... Through a pillow?!?  You must be the loudest cricket ever!
Muffled chirp, muffled chirp, muffled chirp ... I jumped up, tore off my cpap mask and threw on the light.
Silence, silence, silence ...  Oh I am not falling for that!  Where are you, you little $&%+
Silence, silence, silence ...  I know what is going to happen if I don't find you.  Show yourself!
Silence, silence, silence ...  I turn off the light.  Put on my cpap mask and lay down.
Silence, silence, silence ...  I start to doze off thinking maybe I can get another hour of sleep.
Chirp, chirp, chirp ... GAH!  Maybe if I take the time to focus my mind on something else I can block it.
Chirp, chirp, chirp ... Maybe if I pray.  Our Father, who art in Heav...
Chirp, chirp, chirp ... Okay that isn't working. Maybe if I think of gateways and stepping stones and blogs.
Chirp, chirp, chirp ... Who could think with all this racket?!
Chirp, chirp, chirp ...  You win!  You win!  I am up!  I am up!
Silence, silence, silence ...  I get up and get in the shower.
Silence, silence, silence ...  I turn the water as hot as I can stand and as I relax, my eyes start getting heavy.
Far off chirp, far off chirp, far off chirp ... All I can do is shake my head.  Off to work.

There will be times in life that something will annoy you to no end.  It will distract you from the task at hand and no task will be able to replace this irritating stimulus.  It will be infuriating and it can even threaten your own sanity.  Don't let it.  Remain calm, learn to deal, and appreciate the humor in the situation.  I had to deal by removing myself from the situation this morning, a short term solution at most.  I plan to hunt this cricket down with bug bombs and cleaning, but I won't let it consume me. I have already allowed this insect to alter my day, it won't become my obsession.  But if you find me sleeping in your room tonight...you will know why.  Got to go, my cell phone is ringing...it better not be the cricket!

Sincerely with love from your dad,
Leo

No comments:

Post a Comment