Sunday, August 17, 2014

Kids Say The Darndest Things

To my son Tommy,

Last night, on the way home from the Downey household, your mother and I were prepping you for the upcoming school year. We were going over teachers and friends, both old and new, and schedules and events. You sat in the back parrotting back our check lists to confirm you understood what is going to happen here. Your mother and I are big believers in talking about stuff beforehand so you understand what to expect and what is expected of you. It just sets you up for success and sets us up for an easier time of things.

One event we discussed was the upcoming ice cream social for St Agnes School. Later in the conversation you had a question about this event, "So when is the ice cream sexual again?" I was driving so only my ears could do a double take to make sure I heard what I heard. 

"No, no, son. It is social. So shul." I said chuckling to myself as I looked to your mom who was holding in her laugh. We went through about three minutes of getting you to pronounce the word correctly. Your original mispronunciation would drastically change the mood, setting, and purpose of the entire event.

Sincerely with love from your dad,
Leo

No comments:

Post a Comment