Monday, February 2, 2015

Groundhog Day



To my son Tommy,

There is movie called Groundhog Day, starring Bill Murray, that I consider a very quotable classic, albeit a bit of a cult classic. The character Phil Connors keeps reliving the same day, over and over, until he gets it right. As I sit here with your mom in the family waiting room of surgical recovery, I feel like I am reliving the same thing over and over again.

Sure the people alternate; this time it is Nana Jeanne, instead of your grandpa or great grandpa or even your mom. And sure the location alternates; this time it is Carroll County Hospital instead of Northwest or Johns Hopkins or St Joe's . But all too often I have been a resident of these waiting rooms. It all seems to blend together in what seems to to be a never ending barrage that has been constant for the past year or two. Much like the movie, it can drive you nearly insane, to the point that you are playing chicken on railroad tracks, betting that the train is going to swerve. Too early for flapjacks?

There is a line in the movie, when Bill Murray's character, who finally makes it to the day after Groundhog Day and remarks that something is different, and when asked if it is different good or different bad, responds, "anything different is good". Though I don't think anything different could be good, I do wish for better news than we normally get. Of course right now, I would just settle for Nana Jeanne getting a room, as it has been four hours since she has been out of surgery.

Sincerely with love from your dad,
Leo

No comments:

Post a Comment