Tuesday, March 11, 2014

DST Strikes Again

To my son Tommy,

I know I seem to be obsessed with this daylight savings time thing, but it has a definite effect on me as a father. You would think it is easy to adjust to only an hour change, but this forced jet lag has me wiped. I went to bed at the same time as you yesterday, 6:30 or as the powers that be call it 7:30, missing my letter to you last night. I don't know why I was so tired, because again it was only one hour change, but I am blaming it on this time change.

The biggest problem I face with this time change is explaining to a five year old why he has to wake up before sunrise and go to bed before sunset. Back when this thing was only six months, started later, and most of it was during the summer when school is not an issue, I imagine it was easier and made more sense. 

Now, that it is eight months and starts in March, we are on the verge of what seems to be a permanent daylight savings time. Then after the government effectively steals that hour, some beaureaucrat will find a way for his stocks to make money if we spring two hours ahead and it will all start anew. Pretty soon your first three classes will start before sunrise, and I will be working a nightshift without ever changing my start time. Okay, I am done ranting about time! because by doing so I am losing more than I lost with the switch.

Sincerely with love from your dad,
Leo

No comments:

Post a Comment