Saturday, March 8, 2014

Instant Gratification



To my son Tommy,

The second I snap a picture of you, you say, "Let me see." It made me think of how foreign and alien my youth would seem to you. When you took a picture, the image was stored on this thing called film. You would then drop off this film to a store and wait. Some stores didn't even adhere to the one hour film development, so the wait could be a couple days before you saw your handiwork. Of course, there were those who had a Polaroid instant camera, but even then it wasn't instantaneous. I often consider handing you a piece of paper and asking you to shake it and blow on it for awhile before I would let you see the digital image on the iPad or camera screen, but it just wouldn't be the same as waiting for the image to appear. Plus that shaking wasn't necessary with the Polaroids of my time, but old habits die hard. I am not calling for a return to the old ways, as I think many of the snapshots of you (like the ones today) are worthy of instant gratification, but I just wanted to point out how things have changed.

Sincerely with love from your dad,
Leo



No comments:

Post a Comment