Sunday, August 12, 2012

Peace

To my son Tommy,

I just got back from church.  You were still asleep but pretty soon I am going to start waking you to go with me, at least on Sundays. Going to church lately has me going through the vast of array of emotions in an hour.  I have been feeling the mass more than just listening and blindly participating.  There is one part of the ceremony that I just can't help smiling.

The priest quotes scripture and says "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you" and then we soon exchange a sign of peace with those near us in church.  Even as a young lad this intrigued me and was one of my favorite parts. Of course when I was young it was all about the handshake and what I thought was a break from the normal kneeling and standing and form of the mass.  But now I think of peace.  Imagine, friends, family, total strangers each offering you "Peace", peace of mind, peace of heart, peace of soul, peace in the world, peace in your life.  Even though we only exchange with those in proximity, everyone in the church is praying for peace.  Hopefully their intentions are sincere, I know I really do wish peace on those around me.  And the challenge is to take this with you outside of the quick handshake at church.  When ever you shake hands with someone or interact with someone or touch someone's life, do it from the position that you wish them peace in their life and for their soul.  If more people did that in their daily interactions, we might be able to achieve a level of peace in this world only dreamed about before.

Sincerely with love from your dad,
Leo

No comments:

Post a Comment