Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Working Late

To my son Tommy,

It is quickly closing in on 6 pm and there is no end in sight for my work day today.  Trust me I would much rather be home with you and your mom and enjoying a game with dinosaurs or some other figures from your toy collection.  But there are things that have to get done.

You will have times in your life you will have to walk that tightrope between work and responsibility versus family and quality time.  It is a fine line and somewhat of a juggling act.  If at all possible, always pick family.  But sometimes you have to get things done and you have to buckle down and stay till they are.  Make sure you call, make sure you express your regret and your love, and then work has hard, fast, and diligent as you can to get back to the ones you love.

It is a terrible catch 22.  Every moment I have spent hugging you or your mom is infinitely better than most any moment I have spent at work.  But to provide for us, I have to do my job and do it the best I can, and spend so much time away from the ones I love.  So as I wait for this final program to compile and this final report to run, I took the time to call your mom and the time to write to you and say,  I love you both.  I will count the minutes till I walk in that door and you excitedly and happily scream "DADDY!"

Sincerely with love from your dad,
Leo

No comments:

Post a Comment