Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Family Secret Be Told

To my son Tommy,

For homework the other day you had to write out words. Your first attempt was less than optimal. You rushed the job and went freedom totally disregarding the various guidelines for the letters. It was as if M.C.Escher had decided to put a slight spin on printed letters. When you showed your work to your mother, she was less than impressed. Before she made you erase everything and try again, she wanted you to show me your first attempt. Immediately the waterworks started as you were now ashamed of your effort and afraid of disappointing me,

I took you by the hand, and then by the cheeks, and looked you in the eye and reminded you there was nothing you could do that would make me love you less. I also told you a secret about Downeys. I told you that Downeys often screw things up the first time. It happens and it is a fact of life. But I also told you when that happens we do it even better the second time and better yet if we have to do it a third time. I reminded you that it is not how you start or even that you might fail to meet standards a couple times, but it is how you finish that counts. I also let you know that the fact that we do things better the second time will someday really help in your dating life, but that lesson is for later in life. As for your homework, it took a couple erases and redos but each time after you got progressively better.

Sincerely with love from your dad,
Leo

No comments:

Post a Comment