Friday, May 9, 2014

This Diamond Ring Still Shines

To my son Tommy,

Your mommy was wearing her wedding and engagement rings this morning. With all the medical stuff, especially the steroids she had to be on, this is a great sign and a milestone that makes both your mom and I happy.

Anyway, the conversation turned to proposals, engagements, weddings, and marriage. I explained to you that I gave her that modest diamond ring when I asked your mom to marry me. Your response was, "And she didn't run away?". I can't make this stuff up, that was your response. I didn't miss a beat and said, "No, no...I had locked the door so she couldn't get away. Plus, we had the two dogs then so they were a big incentive for her to stick around. And technically it was still her house."

The conversation continued on. You asked who got to be the princess, which confused me at first because I thought we were still talking about the proposal, until your mom said she was like a princess in her beautiful wedding dress. You laughed when you were told your dad dressed like a penguin that day. You couldn't believe it when we told you that you were there with us during our wedding in your mommy's womb. I chuckled and thought to myself, "you and a whole bunch of other people, including the priest" as the original engagement period had been cut down from the expected two years to a little over one year. It is what it is and I sure wouldn't change a thing about it.

Then that ultimate question came from your mom, "Who do you think you want to marry when you grow up?" She suggested a couple of your classmates, but you smirked and smiled and acted shy and pointed at your mom. I feigned outrage and told you she was already taken and that we can share her heart but you couldn't get married. You insisted though that you were to marry your mom so you could get her another ring. If that isn't an early mother's day gift.

Sincerely with love from your dad,
Leo

No comments:

Post a Comment