Sunday, March 10, 2013

Hand Me Downs

To my son Tommy,

You reap the benefits of having older cousins who have started outgrowing toys. Today you received a batch from your cousin Charlie. Often, I have come home to new boxes and batches of hand me downs. I must say they picked the right person to pass on their toys. You are delighted with all toys. Old, new, well kept, worn, high tech, low tech, girl,toy, boy toy, none of those classifications make any difference to you. You cherish each toy and make sure every toy gets proper play time. I often think of the Pixar film Toy Story and I picture your toys feeling like they hit the jackpot when they realize their new owner.

Don't ever look down on hand me downs. I personally prefer used to new in most everything and often think of leaving the tech world and opening a second hand store. There is life out there in old objects and saving things from utter destruction and landfills and breathing new life into them. Of course I have hoarding tendencies that are probably genetic, so my appreciation for the old might actually be a compulsion. Luckily, you are too young for that classification and you can just enjoy and appreciate your new toys like Mrs Potato Head.

Sincerely with love from your dad,
Leo

No comments:

Post a Comment