Saturday, March 9, 2013

Spring Forward

To my son Tommy,

I could go in to a long history of why we have daylight savings time. Or I could go into arguments on both sides of the fence for and against the continuation of this practice. But the long and short of it, no matter how well I understand it, I am still losing an hour of sleep tonight. This is one of those rare occasions where knowledge has no effect on the reality of the situation. Sure I could decide to forego daylight savings time but after a month or two of being late by an hour to any and all events, I might regret that decision. So once again I suggest fully embracing those facts of life you cannot change. Leave the windmills for Don Quixote, or in this case he would be charging clock towers. Tomorrow I will get up around 5 am even though it will be known as 6 am so I can hit the early mass and share in the early morning misery of my niece (your cousin Emma) who pulled altar duty on the first mass after the clock jump. I leave you with this saying often attributed to many different famous Indian chiefs, "Only the government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and have a longer blanket"

Sincerely with love from your dad,
Leo

No comments:

Post a Comment