Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Mirror Mirror On The Wall

To my son Tommy,

I looked in the mirror this morning and to my surprise I saw my father looking back at me.  I am pretty sure it was him but a slightly younger version of him.  I could see the widow's peak climbing up his forehead and on the way to the top of the head.  I could see a look in his eyes that was a mixture of tired and determination.  I could see a man who was wearing clothes that scream "It is what is on the inside that counts" and somewhere on his face was the I don't give a rat's patootie look as he tried to comb the mess of hair on his head.  I could see some gray hairs that came from worrying about a son and a wife and the future welfare of his family.  I could some wrinkles that were caused by smiles and laughs throughout his lifetime.  I could see a man who was about to commute to work and listen to public radio even though he promised himself that he wouldn't do the dorky things his father did and he would grow old listening to only modern music and never to talk radio or the likes. I could see a guy with the ability to spin a yarn or to tell a tall tale that could captivate, entertain, and convince most anyone.  I could see a guy who was vulnerable yet strong in the presence of the world before him.  I could see patience and dependability and I could even see a deeply seated spirituality that seemed to glow from his inner being.  I looked in the mirror this morning and saw my father looking back at me and I was happy.

We become our parents.  No matter how often a kid grows up saying they will be nothing like their parents, it constantly amazes me how alike they are to the thing they rebelled against.  Sure there are slight differences but they are much smaller than you think.  I was lucky and my example of a man was a great example to grow up to be.  Hopefully you will consider yourself lucky and your old man will someday be someone you are happy to see looking back at you from the other side of the looking glass.

Sincerely with love from your dad,
Leo

No comments:

Post a Comment