Monday, February 25, 2013

Shut Down Averted

To my son Tommy,

I was about shut down.  I was at my wits end and feeling overwhelmed at work.  I put on my jacket because I was headed out the door as I convinced myself that the day was shot and I would accomplish nothing.  Then I reached in my coat pocket looking for my keys.

I pulled out a little matchbox car.  It was one of the toys we brought to church the other day to occupy you in case you got bored.  I thought I had emptied out that pocket but I must have missed this one out of the five.  I sat there with this little car in my hand, blue top, gray body, flame decals, cheap little toy from Mattel. And somewhere from deep in my heart I found the energy and determination to take my jacket off and sit down and finish up my perplexing programming.  Thank you.

Sincerely with love from your dad,
Leo

No comments:

Post a Comment