Wednesday, February 6, 2013

There's An App For That

To my son Tommy,

I was going to save all my weight talks for Tuesday weigh-ins but today it seems food and calories are all your mother and I can think about. We are both watching and journaling our diet on myfitnesspal.com and just like when we decided to quit smoking, we are jonesing for some food. We have been commiserating together about our diet plans and leaning on each other for support and using each other to vent. The simple fact that your mother and I have teamed up in our efforts multiplied our chance of success tenfold. I have often said that no matter what the task, your mommy and I always do better as a team.

Technically I have over five hundred calories left from my day, mostly due to only having a cup of coffee or two instead of lunch. You would think that is a good thing, but skipping meals is actually detrimental to weight loss. I just get so caught up at work and rarely get in on the lunch order. Plus if I don't bring from home, it can end up costing an arm and a leg.

As for the rest of my diet today it was fairly good. My sodium was high because of some pickled green beans I had at your grandmom Roro's house as a snack. My sugars were high because I have a sweet tooth and because honey nut Cheerios and milk pretty much take care of my sugars for the day, then I add things like blueberries to the cereal and at dinner had some beets as a side and finished off the night with some 1% chocolate milk for desert and I am over the target sugars. That is going to be tough for me to curb but now that this app is logging and journaling it for me, I at least know it is happening and can adjust. That is what much of life is about, seeing the problem, figuring out the details, and adjusting. If I stick to everything, I am destined to lose two pounds a week, or so the app says. Slow and steady wins the race.

I still have to get back to the gym and plan on doing a couple other things. I am thinking lifestyle changes and not just about the pounds. I really hope this works because extra years with you and your mommy are the best gift I can give you guys and give myself.

Sincerely with love from your dad,
Leo

No comments:

Post a Comment