Saturday, February 9, 2013

Stranger In My Own Home

To my don Tommy,

I sat there staring at the cheese grater I just got out of the dishwasher. I thought to myself "I have no clue where the heck this goes." I realized I have never used moved or touched a cheese grater in this house. I felt like a stranger in my own home.

I am sure many daddies world wide have this feeling of being lost when putting away or trying to find dishes and utensils and other such in the kitchen. Most of those daddies however have this problem because they don't venture into the kitchen. I however have no fear of the kitchen and try my best to learn my way around the kitchen. Your mom's most hated task is emptying the dishwasher so I often volunteer for the job. You would think after all these years that I would know exactly where everything goes. So this transcends some sexist gender role stereotype, there must be something hidden in the Y chromosome that tries to thwart men in the kitchen no matter how hard they try.

As you grow up you will, and I stress will, learn to be proficient in the kitchen. You will learn to cook and feed yourself and clean up from start to finish. If I ever hear "that's a woman's job" come out of your mouth, and you are not referring to carrying a child from conception to birth, we are going to have problems. But also understand that since you are a man, even if you become a master chef, there is going to be unexplainable times that you have no clue where something in the kitchen is or where it goes.

Sincerely with love from your dad,
Leo

No comments:

Post a Comment