Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Clock Watching

To my son Tommy,

Of all the stupid things I have done in my life (and continue to do) clock watching has to rank near the top of the list. Now that spring break has ended for you and your mom, our schedules are returning to a normal routine. Yet instead of utilizing the tools to make that easily, namely my alarm clock, I have been trying to wake myself up at the proper time. This means I started watching the clock at around 4:30 in the morning and kept waking up every couple minutes to make sure I hadn't slept in. I spent all this energy and effort and emotional currency on the worry of oversleeping while at the same time losing out on the precious sleep I was trying to attain. Had I set my trusty alarm clock for 6:15 and trusted it to wake me up, I would be better rested and less stressed to begin this new day.

Don't spend your life watching clocks. Time marches on no matter what. Utilize tools in your life to take off the stress and burden of watching the second hand click around the gradient face. Find those tools that you can trust and rely on, so that you can live your life in the present. Time is too precious to sit around watching some point in time arrive.

Sincerely with love from your dad,
Leo


No comments:

Post a Comment