Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Prayers To Boston

To my son Tommy,

Today I don't have any witty banter nor will I spend it in a self-centered post about being grumpy. Bombs went off at the Boston Marathon yesterday and reports so far have said three dead and hundreds injured. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the people injured and the emergency responders and authorities that are working hard to help. Stay strong Boston.

Evil exists, my son, and not necessarily in some devilish monster but often it exists in the deep recesses of man and seeps out in destruction and tragedy. It is easy to throw our hands up and scream at the top of our lungs "I don't understand" and "what is the world coming too?" or "why in the world..." but that doesn't help. That response would simply feed our feelings of helplessness, indignation, and frustration. Unfortunately, beside prayer and love, I have no idea what else to do. Ban marathons? Ban public gatherings? What can you do to stop such stupid violence? Then I am reminded,,, the simplest act of kindness, the smallest reach out to another human being, may be just enough to change the minds or souls and make someone finally realize how precious life is.

Sincerely with love from your dad,
Leo


No comments:

Post a Comment