Thursday, April 25, 2013

Drums of War

The drums of war are beating again as unconfirmed reports have come in that the Syrian government has used chemical weapons against the Syrian rebels. I don't pretend to understand all the ins and outs of the politics of why we have stayed out of the conflict up to this point and why now we probably will go in. It has to do with allies and adversaries and extremist rebels and moderate rebels and theoretical red lines drawn in the sand. If I were a betting man though I would imagine somewhere around the new moon in Syria on May 10th, our country will be involved in a significant way. The dark nights of the moonless sky always lends itself to military exercises, and the army is predictable if anything.

I believe the drums of war have had a steady beat every year of your life and, though I pray otherwise, I wonder if you will ever see a year of your life without world conflict. Violence seems to be a first resort nowadays and everyone seems ready for a fight. I hope as a society that some time we will remove our collective head from our collective posterior and stop killing each other. You and your friends and your generation remain our best chance of changing our future.

Sincerely with love from your dad,
Leo

No comments:

Post a Comment