Saturday, August 31, 2013

Fatherly Skills



To my son Tommy,

If I had a résumé for fatherhood, I would have to update it today.  You and I took a walk this morning and, as usual when we walk, we ended up at the Family Dollar.  You did your usual browsing of the toy section and ended up with a packet of long balloons that had a small air pump and instructions on how to make a balloon dog.  We paid the two bucks plus tax (it might have dollar in the name of the store but it isn't a dollar store in the true sense) and you had the youthful anticipation of a balloon zoo the entire walk home.  I had to do some quick learning of a new skill.  Thank goodness for the Internet.

I think I did fairly well.  We ended up with a dog and a giraffe and then went on to hats and swords.  We made each of us a hat which you decided were pirate hats and even mommy got a sword.  We had a little ship to ship pirate battle throughout the house.  Later you decided the same balloon hat was a crown and wore it for most of the day, even to your grandparent's house for dinner. Keeping with the theme from yesterday's letter, I think a full day of fun and imagination for $2.12 and a little bit of time on the web for a crash course in balloon twisting qualifies as a great investment in life!

Sincerely with love from your dad,
Leo

No comments:

Post a Comment