Saturday, November 23, 2013

Culture

To my son Tommy,

You are running around the house singing the tune from Edvard Grieg's In the Hall of the Mountain King.  Most people would recognize the tune but you have the unfortunate fate of having a father who actually has a decent classical music knowledge repertoire.  When I asked you where you heard that, you credited Little Einsteins.  It is actually was fitting tune for you to be singing because it invokes a mischievous nature.  You had setup a couple stools in what you called "a maze" but what your mom recognized as a daredevil course where you jump off one on to another.  Boys will be boys, in my opinion and I couldn't really fault you.  Your mom went up to shower and you looked at me and asked if you could continue.  Dads will be dads, so I said yes until your mom comes down then you have to stop immediately.  I figured you wouldn't hurt yourself and I'd be there if you did and sometimes four year olds have to be daredevils and make mistakes to learn.  So there you were singing the classical tune and stepping from stool to stool and sometimes jumping over imaginary lava streams as you avoided the Norwegian trolls.  Your mom  started coming down but that better at the top of the steps and reversed her direction.  You say out loud, "oh good mommy isn't coming down yet, I can still jump."  When your mom, still upstairs, objected to that logic, your argument back was, "It's okay.  Daddy said so!"  I am so busted!  Thanks.  There are still so many subtleties left to teach you in this world.  At least classical music culture isn't one of them.

Sincerely with love from your dad,
Leo

No comments:

Post a Comment