Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Night Before

To my son Tommy,

Oh what a difference a decade makes.  Today is the eve of the Thanksgiving holiday.  It is also, unbeknownst to most, one the busiest bar nights of the year.  Forget New Years Eve or any of the well publicized amateur nights, this night beats them all.  I don't know if it is simply having a hump day holiday coinciding with a lull between prep work or if it is necessary medicine to deal with the impending onslaught of family, but many booze it up on this particular Wednesday every year.  Consequently, ten years ago I would have been tending bar or boozing, but most likely working as tips hit higher levels with that special sense of holiday cheer.

Today, I am at work, finishing end of the month closing, and itching to bet the weather home.  I no longer look forward to the festivities of "Turkey Eve" or at least not the usual festivities of my youth.  I just want to rush home to be with your mom and you and begin my retreat into my contemplative state of thankfulness just a tad bit earlier.  Now if the AP department will finish up...I am all set to head home for some snuggles as we work out the plan for our family obligations tomorrow.  Whatever plan we come up with, be it big family or small, be it big meal opportunities or just some turkey broth with your mommy and us, I look forward to spending an entire day filled with love.

Sincerely with love from your dad,
Leo

No comments:

Post a Comment