Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Volunteering My Inner Geek

To my son Tommy,

Your Grandmother Eileen has to be one of the craftiest organizers on this earth.  She has some how banded together four geeks from the parish into a volunteer tech crew for your school.  With any loose confederation, it takes a powerful and charismatic leader to keep the group together.  Matt and Larry came in voluntarily, but your Uncle Chris and I were drafted because we would never say no to our mother-in-law.  I don't know how anyone could ever say no to her.  She continues to keep us going and focused.  From time to time it is probably like herding water, but somehow she manages.

Even though I was shanghaied, I really do enjoy volunteering my geek powers.  A couple hours last night and hopefully a couple more kids will have the advantages of the new Smart Boards.  Engaging kids through technology and exciting them to learn is a cause close to my heart.  It is the exact reason that you are so adept at the iPad and computer at such a young age.  Of course as you get older and learn from your older cousins, it gets tougher and tougher to keep you excited about ABCMouse and Sid the Science Kid and other education apps.  But, somehow, I can still steer you away from Power Ranger and Minion games and on to math and science and reading apps.  Of course, I can always fall back on my superior computer skills and just block apps and websites and such, at least for the time being.  That fall back should last till about second grade when you will somehow surpass me and reprogram the entire internet and I will be coming to you for access to the digital world!

Sincerely with love from your dad,
Leo

No comments:

Post a Comment