Sunday, February 2, 2014

Cliche

To my son Tommy,

I guess if I were your typical all American dad I would be writing to you about the Super Bowl right now.  In all honesty, though I love the game of football itself, I find myself somewhere between slightly amused and slightly disgusted with all the hoopla and extravagance.  All the extra, all the buzz, to me detracts from the game.  Even in my bartending days, even when my team was involved, I would rather take off and watch the game alone with heavy use of the mute button on the remote.

I just finished watching the halftime show and for the majority of the time my only thought was how that money could have been better spent.  I thought of the impending weather and those who have no shelter from the elements.  The shoutout from the troops overseas were touching but it was a case of too little too late.  Of course if I am looking for some uplifting moral story, perhaps professional football is not the best place for me to look.  The best I can hope for is some improbable against the odds second half comeback.  But with that kickoff run back for a touchdown, the improbable seems impossible and perhaps the best I can hope for is an early night to sleep.  Probably best for this old fuddy duddy of a dad.

Sincerely with love from your dad,
Leo

No comments:

Post a Comment