Sunday, February 23, 2014

Love War

To my son Tommy,

Twice this morning, I was treated to a "love war" between you and your mom. The first time I was still sleeping and only vaguely remember it invading my dreams. I thought it just a mother trying to correct her five year old and I didn't want to get involved. If he was misbehaving and I was still sleeping, he would definitely be her five year old and not our five year old.

Later, after getting dressed for church and waiting to leave, you and mommy re enacted the battle. It went something like this with quite the crescendo into screaming voices.

"I love you"
"I love you"
"I love you more"
"no I love you more"
"But I love you most"
"I love you to the moon and back"
"I love you infinity"
"I love you infinity times infinity"
Silence...followed by the mind blown sound and hand animation.
Then hugs.

Very cute. My mind wandered to the future arguments between parent and child. The patter and the volume will probably follow the same recipe but the words and topic would be different. To the untrained ear, the argument would seem filled with anger and resentment, and include words like "responsibility" or "for your own good" or even "because I said so". But deep down, when you learn to read between the lines, you will find that same sentiment of love, though a bit hidden.

Sincerely with love from your dad,
Leo

No comments:

Post a Comment