Monday, February 10, 2014

Never Forget You

To my son Tommy,

I have said before, "I could never forget you" which is not exactly true. It means I could never forget you for long. I realized how my usual saying was not exactly correct as I pulled up to our house and you were still at your grandmother's waiting to be picked up. Oops! That unspoken rider of "not for long" kicked in and I immediately headed up to remedy my initial error.

Just because you temporarily forget something or someone doesn't mean you totally forgot nor does it mean you don't care. Our minds get bogged down and distracted from time to time and despite claims to the contrary, the human mind is not good at multi-tasking. Sooner or later those things that are most important come charging back to the forefront. That is exactly what happened when your absent minded daddy physically drove by the house where you were to be picked up at and was in auto pilot all the way home.

I grew up with tales of kids being left behind. I heard them from your grandparents and your great grandparents. It happens. My Uncle Andy was constantly left by my Grandma Deezy in some weird and wild places or so the stories go.  But I think this may have contributed to my Uncle Andy's grandiose personality and his ability to fit in anywhere. I will have to teach you how to be self reliant and a good problem solver because I can assure you that I will probably forget you again in my lifetime. When it does happen, have faith that you are one of the most important things in my life and I will remember and come get you...eventually.

Sincerely with love from your dad,
Leo

No comments:

Post a Comment