Monday, February 17, 2014

It Will Get Worse

To my son Tommy,

Whenever I complain to your Grandfather Leo about life, he simply says, "Don't worry. It will get worse." He purposely doesn't add any caveats. You may be tempted to add on such phrases like, "unless you do something about it" but that would be youthful foolishness. If you really need to add anything to his dark but true wisdom, you could choose "learn to deal with it" or "then you die" but that is still putting words in his mouth. Your grandfather isn't even trying to be dismissive or gloomy or uncompassionate when he tells me this. He will patiently continue to listen my gripes and groans even after dispensing this advice. He just wants me to know the plain realities of life. So my suggestion to you, if you feel depression or despair, don't go to your grandfather with your complaints!

Sincerely with love from your dad,
Leo

No comments:

Post a Comment