Thursday, November 22, 2012

Secret Club

To my son Tommy,

Every night we say the same three basic prayers, "Our Father", "Hail Mary", and "Glory Be".  Lately, we have found you off on your own practicing your prayers.  Sometimes you sneak off into your room or off to a corner where you think no one can hear and no one is paying any attention.  Little do you know we have the baby monitor still set up in your room.  Plus you don't really hide well and think if you are not paying any attention to us that we cannot be paying any attention to you.  There are times though that you tend to ham it up and put on a show for us.  The video is one your mother captured of such a moment.

You got to go to mass with me today, mostly because I missed the memo that it was a 9 o'clock mass and not 8 like the bulletin said.  So I ran some chores for you mom between 8 and 9 and picked you up along the way.  When we got to the "Our Father" in church today, a light went on.  It was like you finally realized that it is the same prayer we say nightly.  You looked up at me with astonishment, as if I was the coolest guy on the playground because I had taught you the secret password to the club.  So now you know the secret passphrase, we just have to work on the secret handshake and the double secret knock.  I kid, I kid.  Happy Thanksgiving.

Sincerely with love from your dad,
Leo

No comments:

Post a Comment