Sunday, January 20, 2013

Dusk

To my son Tommy,

I woke up this morning and realized I missed writing you your letter yesterday.  It was a jam packed day with work, and a birthday party, and Downey family dinner.  From early in the morning till late at night we were running around and usually not in the house.  Your mom suggested I write two posts today to make up for it, but I figure things happen.  I have my OCD in check enough that I can let a day pass without making up for a miss even though I do lament the miss.

On one of our excursions today, we had gone up to Aunt Kelly and Uncle Eric's house in Pennsylvania for Garrett's birthday party.  The Kernans aren't really related but certain close friends of your parents deserve an Aunt and Uncle designation rather than a simple Mr and Mrs title.  That Aunt and Uncle designation is often liberally used for cousins and friends and others to suggest a closeness while maintaining a air of respect.  But I digress.

We left PA around dusk.  We were driving some hilly winding roads and, as we crested a hill with a particularly good view, we heard an excited four year old from the back seat exclaim, "Mommy look! Mommy look!" as you noticed the sky's horizon.  This was the very first time you appreciated a beautiful sunset.

I am always amazed when I am there for a "first experience" and the fact that it is spontaneous and unprompted makes it even more special.  Hearing the awe and wonder and excitement in your voice over your discovery makes my heart leap.  You probably felt like you were the first person to ever notice such beauty and probably felt that this pretty sky was sent just for you.  You recognized and appreciated natural beauty in this world all on your own, and you chose to share it with your parents.  Here is wishing you hundreds of thousands of spectacular sunsets in your life.

Sincerely with love from your dad,
Leo

No comments:

Post a Comment