Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Medicine

To my son Tommy,

From time to time in your young life, you have looked up at me like I am superman.  Perhaps that is because I often wear a red cape and superman underoos, but that is another story for your therapist when you grow up.  I kid, I kid.  Well this "superman" tried to skate by the past two weeks hoping that his super human immune system would kick this little nagging cough or at least not let it get worse.  I have yet again learned of the pitfalls of ego or perhaps it is vanity or just basic male stupidity.  The doctor said I did do the right thing trying to beat it on my own for the past two weeks and only since it has been so long with no progress was he willing to give me some help in the form of pharmaceuticals.  Your mother disagrees.  She and you got treated two weeks ago, got better, and now she got it again.  Of course I am to blame for not getting treated the first time and she made sure I no longer had that option.  I took my pills and as I stomached the serious cough syrup, the words you repeat whenever we give you your medicine popped into my mind, "Doesn't taste pretty very good".

Sincerely with love from your dad,
Leo

No comments:

Post a Comment