Monday, December 23, 2013

Karma

To my son Tommy,

Today at work was a lesson that karma does indeed exist.  We were at go time for the new payroll system.  All the work over the past two or three months was culminating to this moment.  I got through my own parts okay.  A couple changes to my custom program need to be made but we suffered through and had the import table created for the new software.  Then, on the very first step of the process for the new program, the pre-import for the table my custom program had just created, the system totally breaks.  It won't import into the live company.  Just as a check I switched back to the test company to make sure I wasn't crazy and it did work at one time.  Sure enough the test company works fine.  Not that that helps get the payroll over to the live company.  As I sat through six hours of a tech call which solved nothing, I realized I may be doing my penance for my outburst the other day.  To top it off, my one true hope, the lady who did the most of the setup, fell ill today and was in the hospital.  Actually that put everything in perspective a bit.  Dedicated and stubborn, she had her husband bring her laptop to the hospital so she could look.  It was at this point that I realized that I was stressing too much and that I just had to trust things would work out and let some people get some rest and recovery.  In an attempt to make amends with the world and karma and for having to work so late, I stopped by Wendy's and brought home some frosties. We shared our sweet treat and had a laugh and a hug before you went to bed.  Thursday in another day and we can work out the bugs in their program then.

Sincerely with love from your dad,
Leo

No comments:

Post a Comment