Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Progressing



To my son Tommy,

You got your report card.  In fact I think this is your first ever report card.  I don't remember one for last year.  You got a great review and great comments from your teacher.  I am so proud of you and am so happy with your schooling.  Most everything was marked as "I" which means independent which I suppose means you have those things down pat.  Your fine motor skills were mostly marked as "P" which means progressing.  This comes as little surprise because we know you need work on coloring in the lines and writing letters.  You do practice those things often at home and demand extra homework be printed if you have none from school.  The surprising one for me was "Knowledge of Faith" marked as progressing.

I suppose, if I approach it in an abstract philosophical way, everyone's knowledge of faith is progressing.  But I figured a four year old who can recite the Michael the Archangel prayer might be given more credit.  You have the basic three prayers down as well, the Our Father, the Hail Mary, and the Glory Be.  You can sing at least half the Gloria, always say a form of grace before dinner, say your nightly prayers, genuflect to the tabernacle when you come into church, and you even know part of the confessional schedule because you wait patiently in the pews for your dad to avail himself to that sacrament.  You have been known to break into other songs about Jesus in the supermarket and when you play you occasionally put your squinky toys in make shift pews and then use a lacrosse stick to do a collection.  Most importantly you have a personal relationship with Jesus and you are very thankful and you talk to me about Him often during our father son moments.  I hope this continues for the rest of your life and you can somehow miss any of the "prodigal son" moments that your father experienced.

I guess, though, I am teaching you different things then they are evaluating in your class.  I probably should start telling you stories of Moses or Noah or Jonah or such.  But I think the real thing that is keeping you from that "I" rating is the fact that you still screw up the sign of the cross.  Funny enough that goes back to fine motor skills.  I do have a teaching technique but it involves some fake glasses, a sports jacket with a wallet in the inner coat pocket, and a watch.  I can imagine one of the priests' faces now when they hear a four year old walking around school saying, "Spectacles, testicles, wallet, and watch" as you practice your crossing ability.  Of course that might get you an "E" for emergency on your next report!  No worries though if you do end up with an "E" or a future "F" or whatever they give you later.  No matter your grades or reports in life, I am proud of you and as always will love you.

Sincerely with love from your dad,
Leo

P.S. Eight maids a milking on the surgery countdown.

No comments:

Post a Comment