Thursday, January 9, 2014

It's Herry Not Harry



To my son Tommy,

"That's Herry, Herry Monster.  I like him," or so you said in a very matter of fact way to me this morning as you watched Play With Me Sesame.  My pride swelled.  I am not sure how it happened, but another Downey trait had been passed down another generation.  You appreciate the underdog, the unsung, the obscure, the supporting character.  When it comes to blue fluffy Sesame monsters, anyone and everyone likes Grover.  Cookie Monster is closest competition.  But you pointed out one of the least known.  People recognize Herry and after five minutes of trying to put their finger on it they can even usually tell you his name, but you got it (though phonetically and I projected the correct ironic spelling into your mind) right out of the gate.  It is not like you watch Sesame every day and we actually had a large break that made me worried that we were done with the show.  Being a fan of the unpopular and the underrated is a difficult path, but it is in your genes and bodes well since you live in Baltimore and probably will become an Orioles fan.

Sincerely with love from your dad,
Leo

No comments:

Post a Comment