Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Waiting Out a the Delay



To my son Tommy,

Baltimore county schools, and thus your school, were delayed two hours due to extreme cold.  I am not here to comment on if cold is a viable reason for a school delay or school closing.  Not sure if it is coddling or prudence, but it is what it is, and it is really cold.  Right now the temp says three degrees and with wind chill feels around negative twelve or so.  But I would like to point out that my idea of what to do during a delay and your idea are diametrically opposed.

Since your mom is in no position medically to take you to school yet, a two hour delay means two hours later on my start as well.  To me that means two extra hours sleeping.  To you it means two hours to get up and play.  Life would be great if we both got what we wanted, but for some reason, when you come downstairs to play, you have the incessant need to call up every three minutes till someone comes down with you.  I finally, reluctantly, got up and showered and came down.  I got you started on cereal and you played with your Legos for a bit. I logged into work to check on what I was missing with the delayed start.  Not much going on with work so the only thing I was missing is some zzzzzs.  Anyways, we will have to work on finding a compromise and a happy medium on "found time" in the morning.  Maybe we can split it right down the middle.

So on this cold Tuesday, I leave you with a question that has perplexed me for ages.  How can the current temperature be lower than the expected low temperature according to the weather people?  Currently, as you can see by the screenshot from the iPad, it is a balmy 3 degrees.  That is without wind chill.  But the expected low for the day is 12 degrees.  It is this type of "logic" that puts weatherman down with lawyers and politicians on my popularity scale.  Oh well, another one of life's mysteries.

Sincerely with love from your dad,
Leo

No comments:

Post a Comment