Saturday, January 11, 2014

Unpunished

To my son Tommy,

By the eleventh day of the year of 2014, our city has started with fourteen homicides.  Fourteen!  I didn't believe my own tally and had to ask to confirm.  I didn't trust any official sources (which is a sad state of affairs that could fill another twenty blogs) so I went to an underground watchdog news source (calling himself the Baltimore Spectator) and sure enough he had fourteen too.  I only report this number to report to you my disgust and disbelief.  This city needs to reach deep into the souls of each and every resident and somehow find their dignity and a respect for life.  People have to stop killing people.  And our homicide department needs to look at the side of their challenge coins (if they still carry them) and re-read Daniel Webster's words, "Every unpunished murder takes away something from the security of every man's life" because they really have their work cut out for themselves.  Of course, solving the crime is not as good as preventing it, but that doesn't mean it is not important.

Sincerely with love from your dad,
Leo

No comments:

Post a Comment