Friday, September 14, 2012

Follow In My Wake


To my son Tommy,

Today I give you some lyrics from one of my favorite Jimmy Buffett songs.  JB is oft referred to as a party singer but i think his bardic mastery goes deeper.  Of course people can find deep meaning in such writings like "Pull Tab To Open" so pehaps I am projecting a bit.  You be the judge.

Follow in my wake
You've not that much at stake
For I have plowed the seas
And smoothed the troubled waters
Come along let's have some fun
The hard work has been done
We'll barrel roll into the sun
Just for starters
The lyric from Barometer Soup is a fine mix of sailing and flying allusions that do showcase his love of water and air.  But if you look at the deeper meaning it describes most any relationship that a father and son should have.  It describes why I started this blog for you and what I hope to accomplish in my life and job as a father.

"Come follow in my wake"  is such a simple metaphor.  I have been there and done that.  Learn from my mistakes.  Look at the path I took and how I got there.  I understand that from time to time you will need to venture out on your own path, on open waters if you will, but know you can always see my path and follow the road already traveled.  I am doing my best to smooth troubled waters for you.  There will be waves and bumps and new wrinkles along the way, but if you jump in my wake they will be much smaller and less chance of capsizing your boat.

When there is less turbulence in life there is more time to enjoy life and love and all the fun that comes with it.  We can run and jump and play together.  When the hard work has been done, we can get to the more challenging work of actually enjoying this gift of life.  And that might be one of the whole points of living.

Sincerely with love from your dad,
Leo

No comments:

Post a Comment