Sunday, September 16, 2012

Let Me Do It Myself

To my son Tommy,

You are at a phase in your life where you are excited to be independent.  If I start doing something for you or helping you, you give me a reminder (sometimes not so gently) by saying "Let me do it myself!"  Unless we are pressed for time or it is dire situation, I usually back off and let you at least attempt whatever task you are trying to accomplish.  You still ask for help after a few failed attempts, but you do give it an honest try.  Asking for assistance after you give it a try yourself suggests that perhaps the super stubborn Irish pride has lessened through the generations.

Your present state of mind actually makes you a great example for everyone.  You don't won't things just handed to you.  You are willing to do the work.  You are willing to try.  You accept when you need help.  You watch and learn when someone has to help you so the next time when you "need" to do it yourself you can make a better attempt.  If only more adults, or even more nations for that matter, would follow this mindset, this world would be a better place.

Sincerely with love from your dad,
Leo

No comments:

Post a Comment