Thursday, July 4, 2013

You Took Your Hat Off

To my son Tommy,

When the first color guard came by in the Catonsville parade, I took my hat off to cover my heart and asked you to do the same.  You did it without question as if you understood the significance.  Afterwards I explained to look for more flags and that it was a sign of respect.  As the next flags were the little ones attached to a float or a car, I had to adjust the instructions to only do it with full colors displayed by proper color guard.  Otherwise we would have been carrying our hats more than wearing them.  But every time the different color guards came by, you removed your hat and covered your heart, and once even beat me to it because I was still watching the Shriners on their three wheelers.  You made me proud to be an American, but more proud to be a father of such a great little man.

Sincerely with love from your dad,
Leo

No comments:

Post a Comment