Friday, May 3, 2013

Just The Daddy

To my son Tommy,

We got to go over and do another family fun night that we call the Brazier night. At some time in the festivities, your cousin Charlie laid some pillows and a blanket on the floor in front of the TV for you and her. She must have run off to the bathroom when I saw you laying like a little angel and decided to lay down on the empty spot next to you. You quickly informed me, "That is Charlie's spot. You can't lay there because you're not the best friend you are just the daddy. Can you leave now? Thank you."

At first I was a little offended and heartbroken by the comments. Not because you wanted to save the spot for your cousin but because I wanted to be your best friend too. But there is the rub. I am just the daddy. My job as the daddy often precludes being the best friend because it is more important to be the daddy. Too often in this world parents try to win the approval and friendship of their children at the expense of their primary duty. So I am okay being just the daddy, now and always, even though I was jealous of missing out on what looked to be some prime snuggling opportunity.

Sincerely with love from your dad,
Leo

No comments:

Post a Comment