Friday, May 24, 2013

Talks

To my son Tommy,

Your grandfather and I have some of the most interesting talks.  Sometimes it is just the usual reporting of events or small talk but often it gets deep and into philosophy and religion and physics and what is good about the world and what is bad about the world.  He is my first teacher and to this day I value his opinion and learn from his insights.  I hope as we grow that you and I will one day have these types of conversations.  Today, as your grandfather and I were talking about the existence of time and the power of prayer and the problems with politics and who knows what, your grandfather gave me a bit of humorous wisdom.  He told me that he knows God is omni-present and often feels His presence.  He explained it usual comes when he is dealing with, and I paraphrase to keep it clean, a big dummy head.  He says he feels God's hand on his shoulder as if to say "I agree with you, this guy is a big dummy head.  But even big dummy heads are my children so practice patience."  I laughed, but then I thought how your grandfather probably felt the same hand on his shoulder when he dealt with some of the big dummy head moves his son made throughout the years.

Sincerely with love from your dad,
Leo

No comments:

Post a Comment