Sunday, June 30, 2013

What Do You Want

To my son Tommy,

"What do you want for your birthday?" your mom inquired of me.
"A maker-bot 3D Printer!" I exclaimed only half kidding.
Your mother, annoyed, asked "How about something we can afford?
I decided against asking for the robotic lawn mower as well.  Also decided against bringing up all the house projects I want to do, like having the electric in the house redone, or the basement outside door redone, or the foundation dug out and resealed for flooding, or a landscaper to come in and do all the edging and create a terraced flower bed out of the front hill, or the attic semi-finished, or the basement remodeled etc etc.
"Hmm, let me think on it," I replied and added, "What do you want for your upcoming birthday?" tying to deflect.

The truth be told, I need nothing and find myself wanting nothing, or at least in the traditional materialistic sense that is implied by birthday gifts.  It is not that we have so much, it is just that I don't want things.  Heart felt hugs and quality time mean more than any gift.  Your Father's Day crafts were the perfect gift and are more valuable to me than a Rolex.  I want the gift of time, the gift of love, the gift of family.  When I get home from work on my birthday, when I walk through the door and you excitedly greet me as you always do, that will be enough.  Maybe we can treat the family and your cousins to some pizza at our house followed by an outing to Sweet Frog or Opies,  Now that is my idea of a party nowadays.  

My gadgets and my projects will probably always be on my list of wishes but have not made it to my list of wants.  We will skimp and save and maybe some day we will get all those house projects knocked off the list and maybe some day I will find the discretionary funds for gadgets like a 3D printer or robotic lawn mower.  But until that time I will want what I already have and want more of what is right in front of me and free, like the love of my beautiful wife and my loving son.  Now when your mom finally answers the question of what she wants for her birthday, I hope she isn't as vague as she will accuse me of being and give me specifics.  A detailed list of what she wants for her upcoming birthday would make an excellent gift for my birthday!

Sincerely with love from your dad,
Leo

No comments:

Post a Comment